We had a puppy health scare today -
Ren has been throwing up this morning.
Yesterday afternoon while I was at work, Leon thought she had eaten a large piece of the puppy nylabone he had given her to play with. It was their rest day, so they were both hanging out in his room, and he had given her the bone to chew on while he was on his computer. But he hadn't read the package carefully, and didn't realize that it was an edible treat nylabone, which Ren proceeded to demolish:
When he saw how much she had eaten, he panicked, thinking it was a regular nylabone. So I left work, and together we dosed her with hydrogen peroxide - she's too smart now to let us give it to her in pumpkin, so he has to hold her down while I squirt it down her throat, poor kiddo - and a few minutes later she vomited up everything she'd eaten.
In the past, when she ate part of Leon's shoe, this worked well, and she had no bad side effects, and it seemed to work well this time too. She lay on the couch with Leon for a while, then played, ate, went out, pooped, drank water, ate again, and seemed pretty much back to normal.
But this morning she woke Leon up at 6 am because she was throwing up - mostly just water this time. After we cleaned up, I gave her a dose of our veterinarians medicine (Entromycin) for when dogs gets diarrhea or vomiting, and she went back to sleep for a few hours.
Then she threw up again at 8:30. a.m.
That was when I texted Roxanne...
And that's when we realized, after finding the nylabone that Leon had thrown away, and the packaging that Leon had thrown away without reading carefully, that she had eaten 1/3 of the edible treat bone, not a standard nylabone. In my experience with edible hard treats with our other dog Ben who is a rescue, they always wreaked havoc on his digestive system. So if I had realized what this bone was, I would not have given it to Ren. But it came in a set of 3 puppy nylabones that were a Christmas present for Leon from relatives, and I had not looked at them closely. Clearly he and I will both be much more careful in the future.
Roxanne confirmed with us that Ren is still peeing and pooping, and that her gums are still pink and bounce back quickly when I press down on them, so she's not dehydrated.
She advised us to contact our vet by phone today, and to change her food to chicken and rice for the weekend, mix the Entromycin in with her food, and if she's still vomiting on Monday to definitely take her in to see the vet.


Poor Ren😷 Keep watching her carefully and throw out those Nylabones as I won't let my dogs have them. Instead, I give my dogs, even my puppies antlers and real bones to chew on.
ReplyDeleteKeep me posted. Poor Ren😔