You have really good instincts in handling Kobe so when you learn the mechanics I'm teaching you, you're going to be a fabulous KMODT (Koehler Method of Dog Training) handler.
Not sure the material of your 'leash'? Looks like nylon? Nylon slips and is not pliable like a good leather leash broken in from years of use. I no longer have my students buy leather as it takes to long to break it in. Instead, I have them purchase from www.PalomineLines.com a Biothane 6' leash, with a handle, and no distance markers. For Kobe, I'd recommend a 3/8" width with a small snap bolt. Also, in the FOUNDATION Course you will need a 15' Longe Line so order that as well. The Biothane sticks (doesn't slide in your hands), is washable (great for lines that have been pee'd on or dragged through something yucky on the ground), is immediately pliable (what you'll want for the FOUNDATION Course) and this Palomine Lines is the only company that does double rivets on the snap bolt side and the handle side. For safety reasons these double rivets are critical and the owner backs her product 100%.
The mechanics you are using to move her from one area to another are about control instead of Kobe learning to 'read' your mechanics and move WITH you. How do I know? Because of how you are holding the leash. Kobe is given no opportunity to choose to work FOR you and WITH you as you are physically controlling her movement. The beauty of this KMODT is the dog learns to 'read your feet' and learns to choose that remaining beside you is the wise place to be, that place is where the puppy/dog experiences comfort/praise/relationship. So, better to command "Let's Go" and move Kobe forward. I will post a photo of the Walking Position which is taught in Week 2 of my FOUNDATION Course so you know how to handle the leash so Kobe has choice.
Great work and I particularly appreciate the "Touch" after the Sit to have Kobe focus on you. That is brilliant and something I do automatically with my personal puppies.
Valerie,
ReplyDeleteYou have really good instincts in handling Kobe so when you learn the mechanics I'm teaching you, you're going to be a fabulous KMODT (Koehler Method of Dog Training) handler.
Not sure the material of your 'leash'? Looks like nylon? Nylon slips and is not pliable like a good leather leash broken in from years of use. I no longer have my students buy leather as it takes to long to break it in. Instead, I have them purchase from www.PalomineLines.com a Biothane 6' leash, with a handle, and no distance markers. For Kobe, I'd recommend a 3/8" width with a small snap bolt. Also, in the FOUNDATION Course you will need a 15' Longe Line so order that as well. The Biothane sticks (doesn't slide in your hands), is washable (great for lines that have been pee'd on or dragged through something yucky on the ground), is immediately pliable (what you'll want for the FOUNDATION Course) and this Palomine Lines is the only company that does double rivets on the snap bolt side and the handle side. For safety reasons these double rivets are critical and the owner backs her product 100%.
The mechanics you are using to move her from one area to another are about control instead of Kobe learning to 'read' your mechanics and move WITH you. How do I know? Because of how you are holding the leash. Kobe is given no opportunity to choose to work FOR you and WITH you as you are physically controlling her movement. The beauty of this KMODT is the dog learns to 'read your feet' and learns to choose that remaining beside you is the wise place to be, that place is where the puppy/dog experiences comfort/praise/relationship. So, better to command "Let's Go" and move Kobe forward. I will post a photo of the Walking Position which is taught in Week 2 of my FOUNDATION Course so you know how to handle the leash so Kobe has choice.
Great work and I particularly appreciate the "Touch" after the Sit to have Kobe focus on you. That is brilliant and something I do automatically with my personal puppies.
Roxanne
Thank you and I will work on that.
ReplyDelete